The hotel was established in 1995 by the Latvian Welfare Fund, a charitable organisation established in 1947 in the UK by exiled Latvians. The hotel was established after the renewal of independence and became a central meeting point for exiled Latvians to meet with long lost family and friends – hence the name.
Profits from our hotel help many hundreds of disadvantaged young Latvians to pursue their higher education studies as well as supporting 2nd World War Latvian veterans and other worthy causes in Latvia.
The Latvian Welfare Fund owns two further properties in the UK.
- a guest house in central London, on the north side of Hyde Park. Opened in 1950, it offers 16 homely rooms, 2 pleasant conference rooms and a licensed bar. 72qt.co.uk
- Catthorpe Manor, a country house hotel and restaurant in the Midlands, at the intersection of the M1, M6 and A14. It acts as a cultural centre for Latvians but all its facilities are also available to the wider public for weddings, conferences, birthdays and other events. catthorpemanor.co.uk
All three properties are held in trust by the Latvian Welfare Trust, registered with the Charities Commission for England and Wales.
For more information about the hotel's owners, the UK based Latvian Welfare Fund, please click on www.daugavasvanagi.co.uk/en/.